October 16, 2014
On Friday, October 31, 2014 Newell Elementary School will hold various festivities in celebration of Halloween. Please read this notice carefully, as some grades will be participating in a parade and class party, while other grade levels will be participating in a class party only. Also included in this letter are guidelines to use/follow when putting together your child’s costume. Please review the guidelines in our Managing Life-Threatening Food Allergies Policy, which encourages parents to refrain from sending in any form of peanut product for snack, lunch and special class parties/activities. This policy can be found on our school website. Please keep in mind that we want this day to be enjoyable and safe for everyone. Lastly, October 31st is an early dismissal day. Full day Pre-K, complement kindergarten, and grades 1-4 are dismissed at 1:20 PM. AM Pre-K and AM kindergarten dismiss at 10:40 AM.
Schedule of Events/Festivities
Pre-K AM /Full Day Pre-K, AM Kindergarten, Kindergarten Complement, 1st and 2nd grades will be participating in our Halloween Parade – Start Time 9:45 A.M
We are asking parents to abide by the schedule below in order to view the student parade. Please also take time to review the parade route below. Please remember that videos and pictures can only be used for home viewing purposes and may not be placed on the internet for any reason. Following the parade, grade levels will begin to have their class parties. For safety reasons, only parent volunteers who have been notified by the classroom teacher as assisting with the class party on that day will be the only adults permitted in the building. All Parent Volunteers must report to the Main Office to sign in and receive a party pass. Please remember that all class parties are limited to parent volunteers only and we ask that siblings not attend.
Parade Route – Playground Blacktop Area
We will use the playground blacktop area for our students to safely parade around the entire square of blacktop.
We ask parents to stand in our playground field only. Please do not stand along the sidewalk and/or the blacktop as these two areas need to be clear and visible for our students to safely move about. Our parade will begin with our Pre-K classes leading the way and ending with our 2nd grade classes.
****Parade will be cancelled in the event of inclement weather.
Classroom Party—For 3rd and 4th Grade
3rd and 4th grade will be participating in classroom parties at various times throughout the day. For safety reasons, only parent volunteers who have been notified by the classroom teacher as assisting with the class party on that day will be the only adults permitted in the building. All Parent Volunteers must report to the Main Office to sign in and receive a “Volunteer” pass. Please remember that all class parties are limited to parent volunteers only and ask that siblings not attend.
Halloween Costume Guidelines
We ask for your cooperation regarding the following costume guidelines that will be worn on Friday, October 31st.
- Avoid violent or bloody images. It is okay to look “scary,” but there is a difference between frightening and gruesome.
- Eye and face masks are acceptable (make sure that vision is not impaired). Makeup should be minimal and applied at home.
- Please make sure that your child’s costume has nothing hanging below the wrist or ankle. Tripping and/or getting materials caught is a major concern.
- Please send costume props, all accessories, and cape-like parts to a costume in a bag labeled with your child’s name. Props (if any) must be manageable, particularly if students ride a bus.
- Weapons of any kind are not permitted.
- Remember that students scheduled for Physical Education on the 31st will still have class. Costumes for those students, therefore, should be selected with safety and maneuverability in mind.